Old 02-10-2005, 02:44 AM
J Fortuna

Default dry rest for paph malipoense?

I just read that paph malipoense grows in monsoon conditions where it gets a
cool dry winter. Would it be a good idea to give a paph malipoense a dry
rest period, or at least to reduce it's watering? Currently I water my paph
malipoense once a week. Would it be a good idea to water it only ever other
week in the wintertime for example? I have read this as a suggestion for
paph bellatum culture, and now after further reading it seems to me like a
similar strategy might be applied to paph malipoense. Has anyone tried
giving this paph species a drier winter? Is there anyone out here who has
gotten a paph malipoense to reflower in less than geological time -- I
remember when I first got the malipoense someone suggested that it only
flowers in geological time, and I wonder whether this might mean that it
should be treated somewhat differently from other paphs to get it to
reflower.

The other suggestion that I have read was that paph malipoense likes
calcium-rich fertilizers. How much of a difference do you think that would
make?

My paph malipoense has a healthy new growth that is currently growing a new
leaf, so at this point I think the plant is healthy, and I would not want to
jeopardize that, however I would like to consider adjusting its culture to
encourage reflowering, if possible.

Thanks,
Joanna