Old 01-10-2005, 09:30 PM
~ jan jjspond

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 14:53:10 -0400, rtk wrote:

About a 1500 gallon pond with 6 koi, each about 8 inches, and as many as
1000 !!!!!!! fry? Very tiny, less than an inch, some half that size.
If they're not koi, then it's been raining fish here. I'm altogether
serious. There seem to be that many. I swept a net just once by about
4 feet of edge and had at least 30 caught, which I then put indoors in
my turtle and miscellaneous tank. I think the fry are too small to
survive the winter here in Pennsylvania and I suppose that's just as
well. I've had shubunkin fry in my other pond in reasonable numbers,
never anything like this. The turtle tank is very warm and of course
the koi are cold water fish. Was it a mistake to put them in such warm
water? rtk

Doesn't surprise me, and I wouldn't be surprised that many will over
winter. Regarding bringing in them inside. Sounds like a chore, keeping the
water in good shape, etc. ~ jan