Old 15-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default OT Was Ricinus South Wales Evening post. Oh dear

In article ,
"PaulK" writes:

| But to fall foul of SS's 57/58
|
| the criteria of S1 must be met:
|
| Simple possession per se of an A-Z in no way matches the criterion. I am
| safe to stand outside Downing Street A-Z in hand! Mark an A-Z with the route
| the PM will take to a Public engagement and quite reasonably I have some
| questions to answer.

You haven't read it carefully enough. Look at section 58 again:

(a) he collects or makes a record of information of a kind likely to be
useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism, or
(b) he possesses a document or record containing information of that kind

Nowhere does it say that you have to be the terrorist, know any
terrorists or have any intention of contacting any or passing the
information on to them. It merely has to be "of a kind likely to be
useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism". An
A-Z counts, because it is likely to be useful to at least one person
who meets the criteria of section 1.

The onus is now on YOU to prove that you have a reasonable excuse.

| Ditto the ridiculous suggestion about growing the types of plants mentioned.

That is why I posted:

.... For example, posting a
query or doing a Web search on how to extract ricin and then
refusing to submit to interrogation, could be regarded as being
"circumstances which give rise to a reasonable suspicion".

If the courts agree that the evidence is a reasonable suspicion that
you might be a person who meets the criteria of section 1, the
onus is now on YOU to prove that you have a reasonable excuse. If
you fail to do so, you have committed a terrorist offence. The
prosecution does not have to even try to show you are a terrorist,
are associated with terrorists or intend to associate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679