Old 15-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Sharon Curtis

Default Building a Garden Webpage

In article ,
Martin Sykes wrote:
I'm planning on revamping my website ( www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sykesm)
this summer once the garden gets going again. Two questions:

1. What sort of content do people find interesting? I was thinking initially
maybe a page showing the development of each of the various 'rooms' in the
garden which were only started last year and an 'arty' page for close-ups of
interesting flowers etc.

The sort of contact I personally like is

Photos: overall views and close-ups
Names of any interesting plants in close-up, for preference!
Before and after pictures are interesting too, if you have them.

2. I received a digital camera (4.0Megapixels) and a scanner for Christmas.
I already have an SLR camera with a Macro lens. What do people recommend for
the best garden pictures - Using the digital camera or using the SLR and
scanning the prints?

It may vary depending on how much you can tell from the digital
camera's display about how good the photo you've just taken is.

PS. If you go to my site, the garden page has some Javascript. It's just a
fun animation and nothing to worry about if you've got Javascript disabled.

I did go to your site. I assume since you've asked you're interested in
suggestions so here's some (constructive!) comments about what you've got
already:

* My view of the page probably looks different from yours since
I use an unusual browser, but anyway, in my browser, your page looks like
some navigation stuff around the edge, but then the main bit of the page
is squished into a smaller area. Particularly since I presume you're going
to be putting photos on the pages, the use of only a small amount of
screen space for the garden page is frustrating.

* I don't like it when separate windows come up for photos,
because I've then got even more clicking to remove the windows again.
If you've a lot of photos, that's an awful lot of windows to remove.

* I don't like having animations on a page, it's really distracting
and annoying, no matter how cute. Particularly if it follows your mouse
pointer (I'm guessing it does that, fortunately my browser choked and
wouldn't do the animation).

* I prefer appropriate sizes for pictures, not too big they can't fit
on a screen, but not so small that you're peering at them (and large
pictures displayed with small width and height attributes are the worst).

* Not everyone has their default background set to white. Did you mean
for white to be the background in the centre?

* The navigation tucked away down at the bottom isn't obvious.
Plus in my browser it's got black lettering on a dark green background,
not enough contrast.

* Very sweet sun/bird/cloud artwork. You say that's yours? Very nice.
It comes out all misaligned on my browser, but still.

Sharon