Old 02-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Mike Lyle

Mab wrote:
Thanks Mike

[...]
I'll go out and get some garden fleece and get it stood up on
something.

I'd probably use bubble wrap.

Just out of interest what would happen if it did think it was

spring?
would the growing season extend or would it just die?

What I was afraid of was the tree putting out new shoots too early;
these would then try to develop, but the light conditions indoors
wouldn't be right, so they'd be stunted, and, yes, they might die
off. I don't think the tree itself would die there and then, but when
it got outside again it might never catch up in that particular year.
Somebody with more knowledge of the species may be able to tell you
if that would weaken the tree so much that you'd lose it the
following spring: I don't know.

On the other hand, when buds started opening too early, you could put
it outside again to give it enough light; this would then expose the
young growth to the weather, and you'd have the same problem!

(By the way, if you're using Google Groups, there's a good trick for
replying to newsgroups. Instead of using the obvious "Reply" button,
you can click "Show Options"; you then click the "Reply" link at the
bottom left of the Options panel. You can then choose how much or how
little you want to display of the message you're replying to. Why on
earth Ggl have it set up this crazy way, nobody knows.)

--
Mike.