Old 15-01-2003, 03:35 PM
Neil Jones

Default OT Was Ricinus South Wales Evening post. Oh dear

PaulK wrote:

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
PaulK wrote:

there is no point in continuing this as we are all guilty of a myriad of
offences - according to your view - simply by possessing a kitchen knife.
(I've just come back from the shops with 3 in my bag, one a very vicious 20
cm cooks knife, perfect for use in a terrorist act) or any of the array of
garden tools I drive around in the back of my car every day.

Get real and stop being ridiculously paranoid.

pk

Nobody is being paranoid. What Nick and I are pointing out is that the
law is exactly as
ridiculously framed as you suggest. I can't see that there is any
question of having
a view on it. The law is quite clear. All that they have to do is have a
suspicion about you
and YOU have to prove it untrue. YES! It is ridiculous, utterly
ridiculous!, but that doesn't change what it says.

Nick and I could both be as mad as hatters but the law will still say
the same ridiculous thing.
It says what it says regardless of OUR personal qualities. I would
concur that it is unlikely that anyone would be charged with an offence
just for possessing a kitchen knife, BUT the law allows them to be.
There can't be any question about this. I know its daft, but it says
what it says. The real problem would come if the person enforcing the
law became authoritarian or dictatorial. It is daft to charge someone
with a kitchen knife under terrorism law, but you can. It is there in
black and white!
To quote Dickens "The law is an hass" (sic)

--
Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog