Old 02-10-2005, 07:45 PM
david taylor

In a seaside location I would think towards planting a break on the side
exposed to the prevailing wind-will escallonia grow fast enough?
As for apples some are self pollinating -we used to grow James Grieve which
pollinated itself and probably our Bramley and Laxtons Superb in the
neighbour's garden.
James Grieve does not keep well but will last into November if kept cool in
a fridge.
Regards
David T
I have an ancient book-Apples of England- given to me by an old work
colleague which gives information on self pollinators etc.
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Paul contains these words:

Hi

I am starting a garden in a new build house, the main part of the
garden measures approx 11M deep X 17M long. This garden is in a windy
seaside location,
Any suggestions as to what types of apple tree would be suitable for
my garden,

I live in a windy seaside location. Apples don't like very windy
locations afaik, and I don't think they tolerate salt well. Although a
few people round about have stunted apple trees, I don't see any
fruit. I strongly recommend you consider the many lovely plants whose
roots stems and leaves are adapted to the windy, salty conditions found
at the seaside. Take a walk round the neighbourhood and see what does
well in other gardens, join a local gardening group, ask the library if
they stock books on seaside gardening.

Janet.