Old 03-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Dave Sheehy

Kenni Judd ) wrote:
: I think that might depend on which and how much Rhynchostylis is in the
: ancestry. Rhy. gigantea is one that find does better in pots with medium
: than bare in the basket. Kenni

It's Vascostylis Nong Kham 'viroj' from Kawamoto Orchids.

Dave

: "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: ...
: Kenni Judd ) wrote:
: : Hi, K: Although most of our vandaceous are grown without medium, there
: are
: : few that seem to need a little. I've not grown V. Paki, so can't speak
: : specifically to that one, but I would not recommend heavy feeding for
: any
: : "sick" plant. Humidity, yes, the more the better, and a root stimulant
: : would not be a bad thing.
:
: Hi Kenni,
:
: I have the same problem as Kay except it's with a Vascostylus and not a
: Vanda.
: I sprayed it with a single application of Superthrive but nothing
: happened.
: That's been a successful trick I've used in the past on other orchids to
: stimulate root development but it didn't work here. It seems like applying
: the Superthrive for a longer period of time is what has worked for you.
:
: I'm also wondering if there's anything unique about Vascostylus
: culture-wise
: that distinguishes them from other Vandids? It sure seems a lot more
: stubborn
: than my other Vandas and Ascdas.
:
: Dave