Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Mike Lyle

djhughes wrote:
Hello,

I wonder if someone can offer advice. I live in the French alps and
decided to leave an area of grass to go wild this year. It was a
relevation, with origanum, various campanulas, verbascum and some
other things coming through the year. Anyway, the question is,
should I cut it with the mower now that everything is dying or

should
I leave it. The grass and plants have 'flopped' down a bit with the
rain now and I am not sure what to do?

This is a good time to cut it if tidiness is required: the flowers
should have seeded by now. Whatever you do, though, the grasses are
likely to take over as the years go by. I've never been able to
decide if it encourages the grass more if you mow it, or leave it to
seed. With a similar patch in Wales, I used to start cutting
regularly about the beginning of August, as the flowers were then
past their best and had seeded: I had to cut, as the patch was part
of the garden rather than separated by some physical or psychological
barrier.

--
Mike.