Old 03-10-2005, 04:15 PM
p.k.

djhughes wrote:
Hello,

I wonder if someone can offer advice. I live in the French alps and
decided to leave an area of grass to go wild this year. It was a
relevation, with origanum, various campanulas, verbascum and some
other things coming through the year. Anyway, the question is,
should I cut it with the mower now that everything is dying or should
I leave it. The grass and plants have 'flopped' down a bit with the
rain now and I am not sure what to do?

Cut and remove the clippings.

Never feed the area.

Broadly: Wild flowers will thrive in poor soil but grasses will swamp them
in good soil.

In the uk the best soil for growing a wild flower meadow is just that left
on many new build gardens ie virgin site with he top foot of soil scraped
away leaving impoverished sub soil!

pk