Old 15-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Bevan Price

Default Building a Garden Webpage

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
news
I'm planning on revamping my website ( www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sykesm)
this summer once the garden gets going again. Two questions:

1. What sort of content do people find interesting? I was thinking
initially
maybe a page showing the development of each of the various 'rooms' in the
garden which were only started last year and an 'arty' page for close-ups

of
interesting flowers etc.

2. I received a digital camera (4.0Megapixels) and a scanner for

Christmas.
I already have an SLR camera with a Macro lens. What do people recommend

for
the best garden pictures - Using the digital camera or using the SLR and
scanning the prints?

Martin

PS. If you go to my site, the garden page has some Javascript. It's just a
fun animation and nothing to worry about if you've got Javascript

disabled.

Digital camera OK for web photos. Quality not yet as good as scanned
conventional photographs, if you believe the scanner review in the latest PC
Plus magazine.

Best to keep photo file sizes as small as possible, even at the expense of
picture quality. If photos take more than 5 to 10 seconds to download,
people are liable to give up and try another site. And remember we do not
all have fast connections, many of us still rely on modems and standard
phone lines for internet access. I suggest a maximum image file size of no
more than 30 - 40,000 bytes. Also, avoid resource-consuming animations with
slow download times.

Photos with brief descriptions are preferable to long-winded text
descriptions.

Otherwise, try whatever you want, you can easily change things if you don't
like your first efforts.

Bevan