Old 03-10-2005, 09:29 PM
david taylor

Moles are not interested in plants-they are after earthworms. When we lived
in Cheshire after several years in our neighbours' garden they moved into
ours. I plotted the layout of their runs-with molehills on the perimeter of
the lawn and occasionally a hill in the middle you can follow the runs by
probing with a screwdriver.
I managed to direct them out of the tunnel system by inserting 'Renardine
soaked rags at strategic points. Bottles in runs were not effective and my
fingers are not strong enough to set mole traps.
My neighbour retaliated by flooding the tunnels on her side. Eventually we
got them to leave by the adjacent field.
If your garden is not too big it would be possible to find the entry point
and re-direct them.
In Devon the soil is much heavier-clay rather than sand- and they prefer to
burrow in cultivated areas and our woodland, which doesn't bother me too
much as they don't seem to cause much damage away from the lawn.
They tend to live in easy ground.
Cats will kill them when they are travelling above ground, but they won't
eat them.

Regards
David T
"Flower Bobdew" wrote in message
Cereus-validus....... writes

Euphorbia lathyrus

Interesting. How many people have had does-what-it-says-on-the-tin
success with this plant? And/or, more importantly, anyone with
persistent moles despite using this plant?

Some of the net references have that tendency to err on the side of:
"...believed to banish Voles and Moles." The cynic in me is alighting on
the first word!

Moles have been a real headache for me these past couple of years.
Typical really. Lived here for 20+ years and never seen a mole, get into
gardening and... GAH! I won't even bother to list all the things I've
tried. And I wish I had a pound for every suggestion! It seems the urban
myth and old wives tales ring loud and long in the how-to-shift-a-mole
misleading prophecies.

Oh, and Euphorbia lathyrus... Not conducive to dog ownership?

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden