Old 03-10-2005, 09:54 PM
david taylor

We now live in Devon about 2km from the sea as the crow flies.
On some stormy nights salt spume-rather like soap suds is blown into our
lane. A bay tree directly exposed is badly damaged by salt, but one 30
metres away, protected by shrubs and a tree is not damaged. Protected apples
and conifers are not damaged, but a row of unprotected Leylandi on the
exposed side is dying.
There was a lot of burn off due to salt damage in the area during a stormy
period about 18 months ago but sheltered plants seemed to survive-this is
why I suggested establishing wind breaks and then planting apple trees.
Cordon apples are quite low and would be protected by a 6 ft hedge. Note
that a hedge will give more effective protection than a wall as it
physically filters salt from the wind and also cuts out downstream eddying.
We visited South Uist in 1970 and the only bush we saw was about 3ft high
and blown out horizontally around 10 ft. so I do think the Hebridean
environment is particularly severe compared to other seaside areas in the
UK.
Regards
David T
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
news
Hi

I am starting a garden in a new build house, the main part of the
garden measures approx 11M deep X 17M long. This garden is in a windy
seaside location, I have currently laid the whole garden to lawn with
the intention of "carving it up" with some sort of design next spring.

Since the garden is flat and bounded by brick walls and fences I would
like to use plants to soften the these hard edges and give the garden
some height. As a start I would like to plant some standard trees this
autumn, (my wife likes apples).

Any suggestions as to what types of apple tree would be suitable for
my garden, what size should I buy and when should I plant my tree(s).

As others have said, it depend how windy, and how close to the sea.

I live on the Suffolk coast, probably less than a quarter of a mile from
the
beach.
[AutoRoute says 400 yards :-)]

The car gets covered with salt drift if the wind is onshore, as do the
house
windows.
However this doesn't seem to affect the plants much.
The upside of a seaside location in the reduction in frosts.

I have several fruit trees in the garden;

Victoria plum
Czar plum
Grengage
Bramley apple
Queen Cox apple (which strugggles but does produce amazingly flavoured
fruit
in good years).

We also have a crab apple, and the whole area around us is full of mature
trees.

So I would guess that uless you are less than 100 yards from the beach and
with no natural protection from onshore winds then you should be O.K.

I would suggest that it is far more important to know how far North you
are,
and on which coast.

On the subject of apples, I would suggest a Bramley for the cooker, and
then
one or two eaters, perhaps an early and a late variety.
I have a fondness for Coxes, although they are harder to grow than many.
When you do get a good crop they last well and taste wonderful.
If sound and kept in a fridge in plastic bags (abot 4 to the bag) they can
last through to the new year.

Crab appples, and wild(ish) plum stocks such as Bullace and Damson are
sturdy and can form very effective wind (and view) breaks.
As far as I know they used to be used by commercial growers to form a
windbreak for the main varieties.
They would protect your garden from wind and salt.

Be aware that if you plant apple trees for a privacy barrier that they
will
only be effective in summer.

Now is a good time to plant.
I would guess standard or semi-dwarfing root stock if you want a screen
from
view.

Space them about a large hammock length apart (future planning).

HTH
Dave R