Old 04-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Andy

"david taylor" wrote in message
We now live in Devon about 2km from the sea as the crow flies.
On some stormy nights salt spume-rather like soap suds is blown into our
lane. A bay tree directly exposed is badly damaged by salt, but one 30
metres away, protected by shrubs and a tree is not damaged. Protected
apples and conifers are not damaged, but a row of unprotected Leylandi on
the exposed side is dying.
There was a lot of burn off due to salt damage in the area during a stormy
period about 18 months ago but sheltered plants seemed to survive-this is
why I suggested establishing wind breaks and then planting apple trees.
Cordon apples are quite low and would be protected by a 6 ft hedge. Note
that a hedge will give more effective protection than a wall as it
physically filters salt from the wind and also cuts out downstream
eddying.
We visited South Uist in 1970 and the only bush we saw was about 3ft high
and blown out horizontally around 10 ft. so I do think the Hebridean
environment is particularly severe compared to other seaside areas in the
UK.
Regards
David T
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

I live about 2 miles inland ( I'm still Imperial :-) ), and very
occasionally
I get salt on the windows after a big blow, you can see it.

As for cedar trees and apple trees, they cohabit very successfully in my
street, so I can't see this as a problem here.

Andy.