Old 04-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from sam contains these words:

I pulled up the canes this morning and composted the vines.It has been a
good season and the last feed was good.If the weather had been warmer
there would have been more, but there's plenty in the freezer to last us
a while. Besides I am trying Marshalls over-wintering onion sets for
lifting in May when this year's crop will be running out,and I need the
ground.It is the first time for me to try this, so I would be glad to
hear of anyone's experience with them. Thanks.

Dig the roots up (if you haven't already done so) and store them in dry
sand over the winter. Keep them cool, but don't allow them to freeze.
Leave several buds on the stem.

Plant out when you would plant out new beans, and instead of getting
just one shoot, you should get several: some from the stem, and others
from round the fleshy root.

--
Rusty