Old 04-10-2005, 03:33 AM
Dwayne

And how did Dwayne know that I have a Cedar 100M away.

Paul,

I think it may be worth checking with Dwayne where he got his info from.
He sounded as though he was possibly in the States rather than the UK, and
that may have relevance to his comments.

You are right. I am from the US, and I speak from experience. I planted 4
apple trees about 30 meters South and East of two cedar trees. The
prevailing winds were from the West/North West. Within 2 weeks they started
losing their leaves from cedar blight. After I had the cedars removed, I
had no more problems with it. We moved to another state and I replanted 4
more apple trees that were advertised as resistant to cedar problems, and In
4 years I havent had any problems. Here my neighbors have an abundance of
cedar trees.

All my trees are dwarf or semi dwarf because of wind problems here, and the
size of my yard is smaller. I am also getting too old to be pruning large
trees.

Will pears grow there? How about peaches and apricots? We get late frosts
here that have wiped out most of my fruit crops for the last 2 or 3 years,
but we get a good year every 4 to 6 years and when we do, I will have more
apples, peaches, pears, and plums than I can eat in the next 4 years (I can
a lot of fruit).

Dwayne

Personally, I've never heard about not having apple trees within 2km of a
cedar, but freely admit I've not read everything on the subject

I'm happily growing 4 apples, 1 pear and 1 plum in a windy garden in
N.Wales about 2m (as the crow flies) from the River Dee. Admittedly mine
are (hopefully!) on dwarfing rootstocks, and at only 3 yrs old, are mostly
less than 7 foot tall presently.

Regards,

Sarah