Old 04-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Flower Bobdew

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

The message
from Flower Bobdew contains these words:

I already gave up on Caledonia this year. It virtually lost all its
leaves, and those that remained were affected...the plant looked
horribly spindly/leggy too.

Ah. Caledonia was available for sale here a year or so back, but I
don't see it any more, either in GC's or gardens.

That's because they're all dead!

This year, I picked off and removed affected leaves regularly, which
seems to have limited the problem considerably and improved health.
Even last year's worst victim is back to sturdy growth and great
flowering. I also clean away any dropped leaves from the ground under
the bush.

Interesting to hear. I suppose, in my gardening naivety, I think of
evergreen being exactly that, and defoliation being virtually the death
knell. I also have Lavender Spray and Wiri Dawn sharing a pot and
sharing about 75% defoliation and 90% black spot on the remaining
leaves, but the former has already sent out new shoots [as it flowers
early in the season], so I'm going to try and pick up/remove as many of
the affected leaves as I see them appear. Watch this space!

I've found all the Wiri's I've tried, very temperamental and
disappointing. My only surviving one keeps dying whole branches almost
overnight.

My love for Hebes is definitely fading rapidly. Next spring I could be
filing for aesthetic divorce, citing irreconcilable appearances.

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden