Old 04-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

[...]

I believe moles and shrews are bitter.

You disappoint me: as I said, if there's anybody in urg who's

tried
to eat a mole...

I've peeled a few, with the intention of having a waistcoat made.

Will
that do?

Close, but, on the whole, no cigar.

Further OT, I have always wondered if nobody ever actually had a
moleskin wessk't made of moleskins, but that the reference was merely
to the kinds of cloth which go under the name.

There's a 1903 ref. in OED which may perhaps not contradict my
thought, since it's possible that the news was based on a
misunderstanding by either the king or his subjects, or both. (There
was a rush on moleskins because it got about that the King had
ordered a moleskin waistcoat.)

--
Mike.