Old 04-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Close, but, on the whole, no cigar.

Further OT, I have always wondered if nobody ever actually had a
moleskin wessk't made of moleskins, but that the reference was merely
to the kinds of cloth which go under the name.

My grandmother had a moleskin coat, and it was made with moleskins. I
inherited this, and a tailor used some unmotheaten bits of it to make me
a waistcoat, so the answer is 'Yes'.

There's a 1903 ref. in OED which may perhaps not contradict my
thought, since it's possible that the news was based on a
misunderstanding by either the king or his subjects, or both. (There
was a rush on moleskins because it got about that the King had
ordered a moleskin waistcoat.)

I believe gamekeepers and molecatchers used to use the skins for some
garments - probably to advertise their trades.

--
Rusty