Old 04-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

Close, but, on the whole, no cigar.

Further OT, I have always wondered if nobody ever actually had a
moleskin wessk't made of moleskins, but that the reference was

merely
to the kinds of cloth which go under the name.

My grandmother had a moleskin coat, and it was made with moleskins.

inherited this, and a tailor used some unmotheaten bits of it to

make
me
a waistcoat, so the answer is 'Yes'.

[...]
Excellent! I hope you still wear it at intervals. I'd like to see
one: do you think they've got one in the V&A or somewhere?

(In Aus, "moleskin" always means cloth. It was the typical material
for bushmen's trews till a couple of generations ago: the sartorially
correct footwear to go with them was elastic-sided boots.)

--
Mike.