Old 05-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Dennis Edward

"dps" wrote in message
What seedlings are you planning to start, and when? It sounds like you
should be able to do it, but if you keep the seedlings too long in small
cells, it will set them back and they could be passed by plants started
later in the season.

Some plants will do well in the cool conditions and some won't. For
example, you could grow lettuce as long as the temperatures stay above
about 25 F. On the other hand, something like peppers or tomatoes would
just sit there doing nothing.

Another thing to consider is that plants that require full sun will
generally get leggy in winter light, which is much weaker than summer
light in the northern areas. Cool growing temperatures will mitigate this
somewhat. It's generally best for that kind of plant to keep the roots
warm and the stem/leaves cool.

Hm, I should probably invest in some heating pads or cables, I guess.

Some stuff I'm intending to start way early, other stuff maybe just a month
early.