Old 04-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Derek Turner somewhat@odds contains these words:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Dig the roots up (if you haven't already done so) and store them in dry
sand over the winter. Keep them cool, but don't allow them to freeze.
Leave several buds on the stem.

.... and I was just about to say DON'T dig the roots up, cut the vines
off and leave them as they will continue to fix atmospheric nitrogen for
next year's crops (brassicacea in my rotation)!

It's usual (and well worthwhile) to prepare a bean trench and use it for
several/many years, as runner beans have few diseases which affect them
in this country.

In any case, the amount of fixed nitrogen in the soil can be made up
over the winter quite easily by watering with urine every now and again.

You don't even need to go to the expense of a watering can...

--
Rusty