Old 05-10-2005, 04:20 AM
~ jan jjspond

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 22:11:12 +0100, "fire fly"
wrote:

I'm new to ponding and very new to pond filters.

I've got a cheap pond filter which incorporates a UV lamp, some foam and
some rocks. Water is pumped from the fountain through the filter and back
into the pond. I have 7 smallish fish in a 400 gallon pond.

My question is this - do I need to keep the filter running 24/7 during the
winter? I live in London. Mild winters, average overnight min -4deg C,
average day temp 5-10deg C

Nick

As mentioned you don't want to super cool the water. But, things have
changed in the thinking of shutting down the filter, and I've seen the
proof in my own situation. So if you can slow the flow and not run
over a waterfall, I'd keep it going. It's not like you get real cold
anyway. ~ jan