Old 05-10-2005, 02:40 PM
J Fortuna

Default cattleya in sheath questions

I have a mini-catt (Lc Tokyo Magic 'Hihimanu' x Slc. Fire Fantasy
'Hihimanu') that has been in sheath since early July. Last time it was in
sheath about 7 months, so I am expecting it to flower around February. I was
wondering whether that is typical for catts, do sheaths generally take such
a long time to develop? how much does this vary depending on the hybrid? I
don't mind the wait, but I am just curious, especially since I now have a
second catt (Lctna Happy Face 'H&R' (Lctna Peggy San x Lc Mari's Song)) that
has two new growths and I wonder how different it is likely to be. For
example, are there mini-catts that only take 2 months between the beginning
of sheath and the opening of flower? How much variation is there in the
flowering habits of the orchids in the cattleya alliance, and what kinds of
variations have you observed?

Thanks,
Joanna