Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Emrys Davies

"Geoff" wrote in message
news
You may recall that a few weeks I reported a problem with one of the
fuchsias in my garden.

I was given a couple of possible causes but now I do not think either

was
correct so I'll reiterate and enlarge.

Firstly, the plant is over six years old, came from the Duchy of

Cornwall
nursery in Lostwithiel and is named "Madam Cornelissen". It's label
describes it as a, "Hardy fuchsia with showy red and white semi double
flowers in summer & autumn. Good coastal plant. Any soil in sun or

shade."

The problem first manifested itself last year and we cut it right back

see if it would recover this year. It did and has given a wonderful

display
but a few weeks ago one of the branches started showing signs of

dying. The
leaves started to shrivel and the flowers on the branch died. Had it

been a
small plant I would have blamed a tom cat but now the tallest branch

to die
in over three feet tall - some cat!!

A few minutes ago I inspected some of the four or so affected

branches, some
of their leaves are brown and shrivelled whilst others are green but
dehydrated to crispness. I bent two dead looking branches and indeed

they
are dead; each snapped cleanly and there is no sign of green in the
fracture.

The tallest branch of the plant is healthy looking, about 4 feet high

and
smothered in blossom and buds as are the shorter but unaffected

branches.

On the I.W. we have had no frost and anyway the plant's in a fairly
sheltered place which receives good sunlight in the afternoons. Just

a few
feet away are other plants which show no signs of distress so I do not

think
possible dryness has a bearing on the cause and anyway, all the

plant's
branches would be showing the same symptoms.

Any reasons for the plant's distress would be most welcome.

Regards

Geoff

After sending my post it occurred to me that part of one of my hardy
fuchsias looks rather sickly so I have just chopped off part of a
relevant root with a spade and I found that the outer layers of the root
structure are decaying. However, I will give it another chance.

I suggest that you do not take cuttings from a sick plant.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.