Old 05-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Lil' Dave

Default Acorns

Oak trees are starting to drop acorns. Picked many up along the fenceline,
don't want any trees here. Most are green, normal sized. A few are dark
brown, and still fewer are very small and dark brown.

Rear of the backyard, on the other side of the fence, is an area workman and
delivery people used for their vehicles during the building of the house. I
would like a few tree back there.

Is it possible to grow a few oak trees from the acorns? If so, which
acorns, green or brown colored? Should I wait until early spring, then
plant them? Should I plant directly, or plant in a container then
transplant?

Variety of oak is live oak. They shed leaves for one week in early spring
and quickly replace them, but have leaves the remainder of the year. Texas
hill country area. I could probably transplant some saplings from the road
frontage on my property, if growing from seed is too difficult. These are
Texas Red Oak variety. Long term plan is to provide shade in area, put a
sight buffer between the backyard and the street, and increase the potential
of the Palmetto variety St. Augustine grass's growth by decreasing water
evaporation. (shading). Right now, except for the most hardy natural
growth, is barren.

Winning the fight against the prolific juniper trees here. Now the oaks can
have some water. No, they're not cedar trees, although I do have some cedar
on the property.
http://southwestfarmpress.com/news/0...ions-rainfall/
http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/sto...C/Oct2004a.htm
For awhile, cutting of junipers was banned here due to this bird. But
they're still around.
http://aviary.owls.com/golden_cheeke...k_warbler.html