Old 05-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Pete

Default Transplanting Fuschias?

A friend just gave me a mature in-ground fuschia that she'd dug up. I don't
know the exact species, but probably a hybrid or f. magellanica.

The root ball is about 12x18" (30x45 cm) and 6" (15 cm) deep, and there are
about 40 stems that have been trimmed back to 15" (37 cm).

I'd been planning to plant this fairly deep, with lots of mulch, but a
neighbor says that it will die and I should keep it in the garage over
winter (watering a little once a month), then plant after last frost.

What's the best approach? I'm in the Seattle WA USA area (USDA zone 8;
Sunset zone 5).

What should I do with all those stems?

Should I divide the root ball?

Thanks for your help...