Old 05-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Toni

wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife and I would like something else there, like grass.
We need grass that can handle the shade and can handle dog waste.
We will pick up the solid waste, but it needs to handle liquid waste.

We are willing to hire a professional to plant the grass there, but
we need to know what we are talking about before we proceed with
that direction.

Here's my stock reply to dog/urine questions...

I maintain a quite small (I mean really small) rear lawn with 3 wolfhounds
worth of urine every day.
It is beautiful!
Here's how I do it..... a bit labor intensive for the non-gardeners among
us, but it works.

First and foremost, water urine in at least once a day. This is
non-negotiable. For a study that backs up my suggestion, go to
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p..._problems.html
..

Keep the turfgrass in good health generally... regular feeding, keep the
weeds out, treat problems as immediately as they occurr.

I spread about 5 lbs. of agricultural lime every month or so. My particular
turfgrass needs a very alkaline soil to do well, and the lime keeps the pH
within the acceptable the range, despite the 300 gallons of urine everyday.
Water this stuff in well! It will burn dog feet if you don't!

I use a bio-booster type soil conditioner from www.gardens-alive.com about
once a month. I'm already out there spraying ornamentals with it, and it
encourages normal soil bacteria to do their business of processing the
urine.

If I feel the lawn is feeling challenged, I actually wash it with a mild
solution of soap and water. This cleans everything up well, and improves the
way water soaks in too.

I have also used Odor Mute to reduce any odors I notice. We've had
wolfhounds for 5 years now, and most of our neighbors don't even know we
have dogs.

We plug any bad spots as we see 'em. It is an ongoing battle, and one I
refuse to give up. My lawn, small as it is, sets off the rest of the garden
beautifully. I am determined that wolfhounds and tropical gardens can
coexist.

Please do not supplement your dogs food with tomato juice. All it does is
add so much sodium to your dogs system that he is compelled to drink tons of
water, thus diluting his urine. It may work in the short term, but I cannot
imagine that so much sodium is a good thing.
Also, the various products sold to alter your dogs urine pH are to be
avoided at all costs. Urine pH is what it is for a reason..... to change
that is simply asking for bladder infections and/or stones as urine pH is
what determines the type and amount of bacteria present in your dogs
bladder.

--
Toni
South Florida USA