Old 05-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Kenni Judd

I've seen a product called "winterizing cloth" (or something to that effect)
advertised in Orchids Magazine. It's a light foamy material, that you put
right over the plants on the benches ... Kenni

"Bryan" wrote in message
Hmm, just a thought, but is it possible to fabricate some type of heavily
insulated blanket that can be easily thrown over the greenhouse at night.

"angraecum_habit" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,
I'm sure you've all heard and dreaded the predictions about heating
costs this winter. This will be only my second year with my gh up and
running. I would love to hear ideas for how some of you have been able
to keep those costs as low as possible without harming your orchids
(too cold, too little light, etc.)

I have quite a variety of 'chids in my gh. The majority are
intermediates, but I also have some intermed.-warm types and some
cool-intermed. types. Last winter I set the thermostat to a min. of 55
F. This year I am considering dropping it to 50 F. I use a Southern
Burner natural gas, vented model. My gh is 15' x 16' and about 10' high
at the roof line. While I am in a relatively mild climate to many of
you (Central California Coastal area), it can get down in to the low
30's F at night. An occasional dip in the high 20's F.

What about insulation (without sacrificing too much light)? Fan
positioning? Fans on, or fans off? Heat curtains? Shade cloth on the
inside?

Thanks in advance....

Lori