Old 16-01-2003, 11:33 AM
Derek Turner

Default Overgrown allotment?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:58:31 -0000, "H"
wrote:

So, given that I can't spend all my spare time down there .. and the fact
that I don't have much spare time to start with, what's the best / quickest
way to clear it?

cover it in black polythene/carpet/cardboard and stand well back for a
year.

Don't want to use chemicals, btw. An advantage of the plot is that it should
be clean re chemicals and such nasties.

What about simply dumping a whole load of manure over the top?

that should feed the weeds nicely and probably introduce some new ones
:-)

What about rotavating it - if I can borrow a rotavator?

that will break up the roots of invasive weeds nicely and produce
ohh.. 50 weeds for each one you have now!

Any ideas?

see above. if you don't want to use glyphosate and don't want to spend
all your spare time diggibg everything carefully out by hand, the only
way to go is exclude all light for at least a year.

Oh ... and what is a 'rod'? The sec said they were '10 rod' allotments. How
big is that is real money?

Rod, Pole or Perch = 25 links = 5½ yards [about 5 metres]
Sq Pole = 30¼ sq yards [often simply referred to as a Pole or Perch in
land measurement]

hth
--
Derek Turner

The english summer consists of three fine days and a thunderstorm. - Charles II