Old 06-10-2005, 01:04 PM
clokemg clokemg is offline
Registered User

Default pond questions

Following advice from the group I have successfully managed to build, fill and plant-up my first pond. Now I have a couple of questions about preparing the pond for the winter.

1. I purchased a few water lilies and following advice from the retailer I did not put them in the 'deepest' part of the pond but started in a shallower area and have been gradually moving them down. They haven't got to their final destination yet but now that the folliage is dying back can I just move the plant in one go into the desired location.

2. In that water hyacinths aren’t hardy and by all accounts are very difficult to over winter do people remove and compost the plants now before they ‘sink and rot?’, or do people leave them in the pond. I guess they are OK to compost?

Are there any hints and tips anyone has for winter pond care that may not be mentioned in reference books.

Thanks

Mark (learning all the time!)