Old 06-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Lil' Dave

From the house, the backyard and aft is north. Yes, I want trees there.
Generally, the native fauna has two varieties of oak, two varieties of
juniper, and a few scant pecan trees in lowlying areas. Attempting to
remain within those two former tree varieties, as they obviously can
tolerate less precipitation, high heat conditions without human assistance.
Am attempting a couple of pecan trees within the fenceline.

Don't normally mow that low for the lawnmower to affect the acorns. The
mower can't get to the fenceline anyway, the fence is in the way. If you're
thinking flat, thick rich topsoil here. Nope. Lotsa rocks of many
different sizes and shapes intermixed with the soil. Rocks are on the
surface too. This traps the acorns making a planter for many. The current
lawn runs 12 ft from the house out, and covers the perimeter of the house.
The fenceline is 30 feet or more from the house with native soil and fauna.
Only stand of trees within the fence line (live oak and junipers) are west
within an extended fenceline there. The acorns are falling from a few trees
on the front outside and along the fenceline SE side. These are the only
trees that are in vincinity of the fenceline. Have laid some additional
rocks at the fenceline to deter the dogs from digging here.

"James Lee Johnson" wrote in message
ink.net...
It seems to me that the first decision you need to make is whether you

want
trees in that location which have leaves during the winter or not. It may
make a considerable change to the feeling you get in your backyard and

even
in the back part of your house.

Current wisdom is that due to the threat of oak wilt, one should plant new
trees which are resistant to that disease and to increase biodiversity. A
disadvantage to planting deciduous trees (other than live oaks) is that

you
will have leaf drop twice a year. We have that in our font yard and over
our driveway as we have a mixture of live oak and cedar elm.

I suggest you start with one gallon plants which you have purchased or

grown
yourself. Since you are willing to start small, cost of plants and
excavation will be minimal.

James Johnson

PS: You don't need to pick up acorns to prevent their sprouting.

Sprouting
oak trees are easily controlled by mowing with an ordinary rotary lawn
mower.