Old 16-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Runner beans

In article ,
bigboard writes:

| Runner beans are deep rooting, so the tubs would need to be fairly deep.
| Also, they like their roots kept moist, so any grown in tubs would need
| careful watching. Try mulching heavily around the bases to conserve
| moisture. I'm sure it is possible to grow them in tubs, but will be a
| bit harder than in open ground, and will probably need lots of attention.
|
| Also, they do like to be well fertilised, so some well rotted manure
| mixed in with your compost would be a good idea.
|
| Having said that, I should think it is definitely worth doing, and
| runners can produce heavy crops over an extended period.

I have seen it done very successfully in half barrels, and they are
decorative, too. One of the many vegetables first grown for
decoration! My guess is that you need to allow several gallons per
plant, but that is a mere guess.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679