Old 06-10-2005, 11:43 PM
GardenOasis GardenOasis is offline
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonymouse
Hi

I've recently bought a garden table and chairs [wood variety] but have
limited space to store the table in my house. I've treated the items
with teak oil, but would the table survive the winter without any
damage if left covered outside?

Unfortunately, I cannot disassemble the table for storage. The table is
in a reasonably well protected courtyard shielded from the wind, but
obviously not rain/snow
Hi,

You don't mention what type of wood your furniture is made from but as you have treated it with teak oil, we will assume it is teak. In which case, you do not need to worry about winter storage, you can leave teak outdoors uncovered all year round. Teak is a very hard wood with a high natural oil content that means it will last outdoors for 30 years +

Many teak manufacturers do not recommend treating teak with teak oil as the UK climate being what it is, it can mean you are sealing in moisture which can cause mould to form. Teak Oil treatment is more for cosmetic value than for protecting the timber. Teak naturally fades to a silver grey colour over time but if you want to maintain the 'new' look, treat it in summer when the timber has thoroughly dried out.

If you want to cover your teak, use a good quality breathable material but again, this isn't actually necessary. If the furniture gets dirty over winter, just give it a blast with the pressure washer in spring.

Garden Oasis
www.gardenoasis.co.uk