Old 16-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Sharon Curtis

Default Building a Garden Webpage

In article ,
Martin Sykes wrote:
1. Sorry if my pages look a bit odd on other browsers. I write them all
using notepad rather than a design tool because I've never found a free one
which did everything I want. If anyone can recommend something good that I
can download then great.

No, you're doing the right thing not using an HTML editor.
Your pages probably come out a lot better for different browsers/window
sizes etc. than if you did use software.
Software has this annoying tendency to make horrible HTML and to
allow the viewer of the page a lot less choice about how they want to
view it. Mind you, software that provides a nice environment than
Notepad in helping you to write your own HTML can be very useful.

2. The bees are admittedly annoying :-) I'll probably be a bit more subtle
next time and I'll try and provide versions without javascript and without
frames.

Why not save yourself some effort and just do one version, leaving out
the javascript and frames? You don't need to use frames to arrange the
layout - you can do it all with tables.

3. I changed to popping pictures in another window because I find it
annoying to keep using the 'back' button (Which is very slow on a old
machine).

Then you'll understand why some other people find it annoying to keep
using a different button.

I think I might re-use a single extra window though instead of one
per picture to save clutter.

Bear in mind though that the way some people do this, you end up
losing the pictures. You're browsing some site, a window with a picture
in it pops up, you minimize it, and then a while later, you click on
another picture, and then it's puzzling as to where the picture has
gone.

Another option is to put the picture in a page, rather than having
nothing else in the browser window. That way you can implement "Back"
as a link that says "Back" next to the photo.

There's no one option you can choose to please everybody. Some people
are perfectly happy with new windows popping up all over the place,
some aren't, some people like extra windows, some find it awkward because
they can't easily see two windows on the screen at the same time.
However, being aware of the different options at least allows you
to make a informed choice.

Sharon