Old 06-10-2005, 11:34 PM
V_coerulea

#1 definately appears to be brown rot probably caused by Erwinia spp.
Erwinia can easily become a systemic infection resisting any cut-and-treat
cure. If it's a box store special, you know what to do. If it's a special
special, then more drastic measures are in demand. I have saved a phal and a
paph St Swithin from certain death by completely unpotting and getting rid
of most of the media, then soaking in a Physan solution (1 Tbsp/gal) for 20
min. This is the rate recommended for disinfection and not for plant
application, but we are talking desperate measures here. My plants did
suffer a little root damage but recovered nicely and are doing fine today.
I'd recommend this only for mature plants as this dose might outright kill
or compound serious damage on younger growth. Good luck.
#2 does appear to be mite damage or could be sunburn. The most effective
treatment for mites I've tried has been Foramite. Pricey but worth it.
Gary

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Hi, All,

I just posted two pictures over on abpo, along with explanations. Would
appreciate any comments.

Diana