Old 07-10-2005, 12:47 AM
~ jan jjspond

On 6 Oct 2005 09:04:39 -0700, "nancy" wrote:

I have a new pond...plastic liner about 160 gallons, 18" deep in
center. The pond is spring fed no electric. The fresh water line will
have to be stopped as soon as the pipes would freeze(early Nov). It
has been the home to 4 Koi since June. I live in the snow belt of
NY(lots of snow,lots of cold) Without electric can I leave them in the
pond all winter?? I saw something called Ice Guard that didn't require
eletric would it really serve a purpose??

Only 18", an Ice Guard isn't going to work well enough for your area. I
fully expect your pond to freeze to the bottom if you don't have some way
to run an extension cord and a stock tank heater to it.

I suggest either bringing the koi inside, or selling them back to the pet
shop and getting new in spring. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a