Old 06-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Mark wrote

1. I purchased a few water lilies and following advice from the
retailer I did not put them in the 'deepest' part of the pond but
started in a shallower area and have been gradually moving them down.
They haven't got to their final destination yet but now that the
folliage is dying back can I just move the plant in one go into the
desired location.

Some of the superb new American varieties or the good old French ones?
Good selection of both here...
http://www.lilieswatergardens.co.uk/...e.asp?cat=A-2B
Yes, just move them down to the preferred place when dormant.
I trust you planted them into proper half bins (no holes) not those stupid
net like lilly baskets everyone sells. Do water plants need drainage? What
do Kew and Wisley use, plastic half barrels.

2. In that water hyacinths aren't hardy and by all accounts are very
difficult to over winter do people remove and compost the plants now
before they 'sink and rot?', or do people leave them in the pond. I
guess they are OK to compost?

Yes, compost them now.
You could try overwintering them in good light but they need warmth too,
not a cold windowsill.

Are there any hints and tips anyone has for winter pond care that may
not be mentioned in reference books.

Usual advice is to not feed your fish at all. (I do feed, but I have been
keeping fish for over 50 years and keep a close watch on weather forecasts
so for the novice the usual advice stands).
Clear out any dead plant life, tidy up.
Give your fish somewhere to hide. Large plastic flowerpot on it's side
etc.
If you live in a cold part of the UK float a sheet of polystyrene foam on
the pond to keep an area open to reduce stress on the pond walls, and for
gas exchange.
If ice forms NEVER hit it to break it, the concussion could damage/kill
all your fish, fill a saucepan with hot water and stand it on the ice to
slowly melt a nice round hole.

--
Regards
Bob

Also make up your mind whether you want a wildlife pond or a fish pond.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com