Old 07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
Gilly

Default Digging it up and starting again

My mixed border is an unruly mish-mash, so I want to dig in some decent
compost, rearrange the perennials, plant a load of spring bulbs, sow a few
hardy annuals, and generally "start again" with a decent layout.

If I tackle the job in spring, I can't plant any bulbs this year (there's no
space for them until I dig up and reorganise the perennials). However, I
still have several autumn plants in bloom so I can't dig up everything right
now.

What I want to do is dig up some perennials now before they vanish (hosta,
monarda, etc) and keep them in pots for a month until the autumn plants are
finished, tidy up some of the border now, then in November dig up everything
else, replant the perennials and get the bulbs in, and then it's all ready
for next year.

But, what is best?
(1) Dig up now, keep in pots for a month and replant in November?
(2) Leave in the ground until November, then dig up (if I can find them) and
replant in November?
(3) Dig up now, leave in pots for all winter and replant in the spring?
(4) Leave everything as is, and tackle it all in spring (and forego planting
bulbs this year)?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.