Old 07-10-2005, 05:13 AM
vincent p. norris

I just read Toni's post, so I'll add that I never water my lawn and I
haven't fertilized it for at least 20 years. I mow it high, 3", and
let the clippings lie. It still grows too fast.

vince norris

I do the same thing as you, but it sounds like you're talking about normal
lawn care, as opposed to dealing with a dog urinating in the same areas
repeatedly.

Not sure I know what you mean by "normal lawn care." My impression is
that "normal" means fertilizing three times a year wqith 20-X-X and
watering every time it doesn't rain for an entire week.

These are just wild guesses, but (1) perhaps by never watering, even
in a serious drought (and we've had several, including this summer; we
are now short of about six inches of rain for the year), I have
"persuaded" my grass to send its roots down deep. That may make them
less vulnerable to dog urine. (2) Perhaps it is the nitrogen in
the urine ADDED TO the 20-X-X fertilizer, that provides a toxic
amount of N to the soil.

It's true my dogs haven't gone repeatedly in exactly the same small
area. Perhaps that's the advice we should give the originator of this
thread: Tell your dogs to spread it around!

vince norris