Old 07-10-2005, 03:07 AM
ned

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , clokemg
writes
snip

Are there any hints and tips anyone has for winter pond care that

may
not be mentioned in reference books.

1 Tennis ball in water - can be taken out if pond freezes

over,
which is likely according to the forecast for the coming winter.
2 Never smash the ice.
3 I feed wheatgerm in winter but the fish don't really need
anything at all if the balance of the water is correct.
4 clear away all dead leaves etc. during autumn.

..... all dead leaves? Ooh, I think that's a bit drastic.
A healthy pond is one that is in balance and that requires a degree of
wildlife which will need a bit of vegetable detritus in the bottom.
Where are the froggies going to hide?
A clean pond is a bath.

--
ned