Old 07-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Siouxzi

Thanks Wes. I did, and that brought me to the Paradise Nursery site
I'd forgotten about--they specialize in fig trees. Delightful people,
too. I'm on their list to get notified when young trees are available
for shipment in the spring. I'm going to get me one of those fig trees
that produce big sweet green figs like I swooned over in the
Mediterranean... And one of those Muscadine vines.
http://www.paradisenursery.com/gourmetfigs.html
For anyone on this list who's never eaten a fresh ripe fig... I'm
telling you, it's ambrosia. Consider adding one to your yard, and in a
year or two you'll wonder how you've survived so far through life
without discovering this wonderful fruit. Ripe figs are very soft and
do not ship well... at all... which is why you can almost never find
them in a market, and when you do, they're just not likely to be ripe
and sweet.

Cheers
Sue

On 2005-09-28, Siouxzi wrote:
My brown turkey fig is only a few years old, but it's probably close
to 20 feet tall. This year, it produced very small fruits in small
numbers, most of which were out of reach to me (but not to the
birds!).
I'd like to prune it pretty severely, and baby it next spring in hopes
of getting a good sweet crop. Will it be OK if I cut it down to 4 feet
or so and remove some big side branches?
And is this a good time to do it, after the fruits are gone?

Tanks
Sue

Google 'Prune fig tree' and you will find quite a few hits. One comment
was to prune large ones in stages, but another said they could withstand
heavy pruning.