Old 07-10-2005, 11:22 AM
fingers

Default Butts

Hi Guys,
I currently compost stuff in bin liners with a few holes in the bottom
and it works quite well. I have read a bit about composting in a
compost bin and would like to try it as it will look tidier.
I also want to get a water butt so that I can water plants growing in
containers while I am on holiday.
So my idea is to get 2 identical water butts and make one a compost
bin. The plan is to drill 10 or so 1/4 inch holes in the sides about 2
inches from the bottom for ventilation and 4 or 5 holes in the centre
of the bottom for drainage.
Now the questions.
.. Is this a good plan for the compost bin? Do the holes need to be
bigger?
.. Can I use the liquid that drains from the bottom as a liquid feed and
can I just tip it into the water butt?
.. In a lot of guides about composting they give a list of things you
can't put into them i.e. kitchen scraps and cooking oil. The scraps
can't be used because of pests but if there is a good lid on the bin
would it be ok?
.. What is the reason for not putting kitchen vegetable oil in it? I
have been putting paper kitchen towels soaked in vegetable oil in my
bags and it seems to rot down.
.. Do you recomend a little door at the front to get the compost out? I
was planning on just upending it in the spring sieving it and using it
to mix with last years potting compost to envigorate it.
.. Is it a good plan to do this or do you recomend always buying new
potting compost?

.. The water butt comes with a rain diverter kit. How does this work?
From the pics it looks like you saw the downpipe and insert the

diverter and it diverts the rain through a hosepipe into the butt.
.. What happens if there is a torrential downpour as the hosepipe won't
cope with all the water?
.. How does it prevent the butt from overflowing?
.. Is there a maximum length for the diverter hosepipe?

Thanks in advance for you answers. I hope there aren't too many
questions :-)

Fingers