Old 16-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Overgrown allotment?

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:33:15 +0000, Derek Turner
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:58:31 -0000, "H"
wrote:

So, given that I can't spend all my spare time down there .. and the fact
that I don't have much spare time to start with, what's the best / quickest
way to clear it?

cover it in black polythene/carpet/cardboard and stand well back for a
year.

Don't want to use chemicals, btw. An advantage of the plot is that it should
be clean re chemicals and such nasties.

What about simply dumping a whole load of manure over the top?

that should feed the weeds nicely and probably introduce some new ones
:-)

Better still, combine the two methods... dump a load of manure on it,
cover it in old carpets/black polythene and let the worms do the rest.
Later in the year you should be able to cut slits in the mulch ( the
carpet etc. ) and plant through it.
It'll limit what you can grow, but you ought to get a decent crop of
courgettes and beans at least.
By the end of the season you should be able to dig over the plot quite
easily - and removed the tap roots of the nastier weeds.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk