Old 07-10-2005, 05:47 PM
CanadianCowboyİ

I wouldn't buy a de-icer with the cost of energy these days.
It may be on all the time during those January-February nights.

I keep my pumps running and disconnect any hoses. This way water flows
underneath and generates enough water motion to keep a small hole in my
pond throughout the winter (Toronto, Ontario)

scubadiverld wrote:
Derek Broughton Wrote:

Gareeeİ wrote:
-
"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
...-
MC wrote:
-
2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.-

40? _That_ is some amount of heat. If an aquarium heater works at
all,
your surface temperature is going to be within a degree or two of the
freezing point. Forget the heater, use a bubbler.-

How big a bubbler should we get for a 12x12 pond, 2-3 foot deep. We
have a
number of small goldfish, but nothing bigger then 5 inches.-

In S. Ontario, with temperatures down to -25C, I could keep a hole open
with
a 15W aquarium air pump and one of the long (6") air stones, suspended
6-12" below the waterline.
--
derek

Derek,
I just created a pond (rather late in the season) in Hamilton ON.
How do you keep your air pump from getting wet? My max depth of my
pond is about 4 1/2 feet. Will 6-12" below the water line be sufficient
for me too?
I was looking at the pond de-icers and I am hesitant about running it
with the cost of electricity these days if I don't need to. I have
about 30 gold fish between 3-5 inches.
Thanks
Lawrence