Old 16-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Slightly OT - Conservatories

In article ,
Alison o.uk wrote:
Apologies for not being *quite* garden orientated but there are just so many
lovely conservatory plants about that we're considering having one built.

I value all the opinions given here so I'd like to ask your experiences of
conservatories. Like polycarb roof or glass, timber construction or uPVC,
roof vents or roof blinds? Are there any things you wish you had known when
you bought yours or things you would change now given half a chance? Any
manufacturers that you've been impressed with? Pitfalls to watch out for?
It's such a huge cost that any scraps of experience/wisdom would be greatly
appreciated.

We had one built a few years back by Lansdowne, and are very satisfied
with it. It is south facing, was pricey but not one of the expenditure
as a status symbol ones. Here are some points:

There is a cavity brick dwarf wall, and a full height wall to the north
where it is close to an adjacent house. This saves money, loses nothing
and reduces damage. It also helps if you want to shade plants.

The glass is 1/2" cavity K glass. Definitely worth it. Condensation
is minimal and little heating is needed. It won't save money, but you
shouldn't lose money over its lifetime.

11.5% of the floor area is automatically opening top vents. And I mean
TOP vents. There are lots of windows, but we open them only when we
are in there on hot summer days.

There are 5 9" square ventilation holes in the dwarf wall and low down
in the full one. I insisted! They have galvanised iron gratings on the
outside and brass shuttering on the inside. With them and the top vents
open, it doesn't overheat even in full summer with the windows closed.
They are critical for when you are out or go away.

I made some plates for covering the outside of the vents from plain
brass with vinyl floor tiles stuck to the inside (bimetallism avoidance),
some 4" larger than the vents with a screw hole in each corner. This
prevents too much heat loss in winter, and it takes me 15 minutes to
remove each spring and attach each autumn.

There is a 1/300 slope down to a drainage channel at one side, with
not too slippery floor tiles. It is very easy to clean and water
does not puddle. 1/200 might be better.

There is a border going down to soil in one side, but I am not as
successful at establishing plants in it as I hoped. Too many pests
get out of control, and I have to remove plants and start again.
Obviously a lack of skill and experience :-)

I made some lattice out of dowelling, because I disliked the look
(and durability) of anything I could buy. Successful, but tricky.
Please ask me if you are a good handyman and want to try.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679