Old 16-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Slightly OT - Conservatories

The message
from "Alison" o.uk
contains these words:

Apologies for not being *quite* garden orientated but there are just so many
lovely conservatory plants about that we're considering having one built.

I value all the opinions given here so I'd like to ask your experiences of
conservatories. Like polycarb roof or glass, timber construction or uPVC,
roof vents or roof blinds? Are there any things you wish you had known when
you bought yours or things you would change now given half a chance? Any
manufacturers that you've been impressed with? Pitfalls to watch out for?
It's such a huge cost that any scraps of experience/wisdom would be greatly
appreciated.

Decide if you're going for primarily an extra living room, warm with
lots of light, a couple of pot plants and a nice outlook; or a place
where there's just enough space to sit among the green jungle of plants.
The first will be dry enough for upholstery, rugs, filled bookcases etc;
the second will be very humid.

Go for upvc or coated aluminium....no maintenance except washing.
Polycarb roofs are very much noisier than glass when it's
raining,(imagine sitting inside a drum...) and you might quite often
want to be inside while it's raining. On the other hand, polycarb
screens out a percentage of light so plants are less likely to scorch in
sun, and is a better insulator in winter. If you can visit a
conservatory showroom, try going there during a heavy downpour, and
during a sunny summer day.

Allow for more ventilation than you think you will need, preferably
set up so you can arrange a natural through draft of air, and have a
waterproof floor if you're going to be watering plants. If possible
don't site it facing due south..it will be much too hot for people and
plants in summer.

Think ahead about heating in winter if you intend to have loads of
plants; if you plan to run an extra radiator off your central heating
system, remember that most people time it to go off during most of the
night so plants could get badly chilled then..you will probably need
some kind of electric thermostatic heater anyway.

Janet.