Old 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Warren

Jenny wrote:
Yup. SO was attempting to take out the bedroom A/C and dropped it out the
window, right on top of my foundation planting rosebud azalea.

It broke off quite a few branches at the back of the plant, but seems to
have missed the center, though there is some scratching of the bark.

Is it time to buy a new one, or will the plant be able to grow new
branches with time?

If less than 1/3 of the plant was damaged, it should recover okay. Of course
it won't flower next spring on the side that was damaged, but if that was
the back, that may not be a problem, either. It's going to be quite
lop-sided for many years to come. You can reduce the number of years by
pruning other sides (no more than 1/3 of the plant a year) each year to help
balance it out. The best time to prune is right after the flowering is done.
And the best tools to use are tools made for pruning, not air conditioners.

On the other hand, if you want to use this event as an excuse to replace the
plant, it sounds like as good of an excuse as any.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Shop for gifts for fans of "The Simpsons":
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/simpsons