Old 08-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I live in Northern Indiana and have had a pond here for several years.
This is the first year that my water plants have been so prolific. I have
water hyacinths and parrotfeather that are gorgeous and I can't bear the
thought of loosing them over the winter. Is there anything I can do to
keep these plants to re-introduce them to the pond in the spring? I
googled both and it sounds like they are not very winter hardy in our
area. Has anyone ever stored their plants inside in an aquarium or barrel
and had success with this?

## I find the water hyacinth very hard to keep alive over the winter
indoors. I have a large sunroom. They usually rot. I do fertilize them.
This winter I'm trying them with a filter to keep the water moving in their
small tub. The exposure is due south so they get plenty of sun. The
parrots feather lives over the winter in the ponds here. I'm in TN (zone
6). I don't bother to bring it in.

Also, I have about 20, what I believe to be baby goldfish. They are about
2 inches in length. This spring I installed a new "upper" pond to my
original (they are not connected) and am afraid they won't survive the
winter. I never had fish even in this pond, just plants so the babies or
eggs must have been in the plants I purchased. I have one floating
heater that I use in the main pond every winter, but am afraid if I put
the babies in the main pond, they will become a meal for my bigger
goldfish. The largest of which is about 6 inches long.

## GF are not bad about eating baby fish unless they're real small. A 2"
fish would be too large for them to swallow anyway. Young GF and koi sail
right through the winter if there's a hole in the ice for gas exchange.

I am also afraid of over-crowding. The original
pond is only about 150 gallons and already houses about 11 large goldfish.
Should I bring the babies in for the winter?

## No. You need to sell them or give them away. You already have enough in
your little pond. :-)

I also must add I just purchased ANOTHER pond as I discovered I don't like
the raised look and am taking that one down to opt for the new one. This
one is 165 gallons. Should I buy another heater and leave the babies in
this one? (My husband and I still have to dig and install :)

## As long as it doesn't feeze solid and there's a hole in the ice they
should do fine.

--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b