Old 08-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I live in Northern Indiana and have had a pond here for several years.

This
is the first year that my water plants have been so prolific. I have

water
hyacinths and parrotfeather that are gorgeous and I can't bear the thought
of loosing them over the winter. Is there anything I can do to keep these
plants to re-introduce them to the pond in the spring? I googled both and
it sounds like they are not very winter hardy in our area. Has anyone

ever
stored their plants inside in an aquarium or barrel and had success with
this?

Also, I have about 20, what I believe to be baby goldfish. They are about

2
inches in length. This spring I installed a new "upper" pond to my

original
(they are not connected) and am afraid they won't survive the winter. I
never had fish even in this pond, just plants so the babies or eggs must
have been in the plants I purchased. I have one floating heater that I

use
in the main pond every winter, but am afraid if I put the babies in the

main
pond, they will become a meal for my bigger goldfish. The largest of

which
is about 6 inches long. I am also afraid of over-crowding. The original
pond is only about 150 gallons and already houses about 11 large goldfish.
Should I bring the babies in for the winter?

I also must add I just purchased ANOTHER pond as I discovered I don't like
the raised look and am taking that one down to opt for the new one. This
one is 165 gallons. Should I buy another heater and leave the babies in
this one? (My husband and I still have to dig and install :)

Thanks for any help!

Lisa

One idea (though not a pretty one) is to put kiddie pools in your house with
the fish in it for the winter. Maybe in the living room or a spare bedroom.
Just an idea, again - not pretty, but it should work. Good luck and later!